Swayam NPTEL Online Courses
The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) was initiated by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Guwahati and Roorkee) along with the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 2003. NPTEL has formed partnership with colleges to reach its courses to a mass number of learners. Our Indo-American College has been credited with NPTEL Local Chapter. Mr.A.Ramkumar Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry has been designated as SPOC (Single Point of Contact).
NPTEL offers open online courses under MOOCS along with certificates from the IITs/IISc for those who completed the courses successfully. It is now possible for anyone outside the IIT System to be able to do an online certification course from NPTEL and get a certificate from the IITs. IITs are reaching out and taking education to the homes of people through this initiative.
NPTEL Online Certification
The objective of enabling students obtain certificates for courses is to make students employable in the industry or pursue a suitable higher education programme. Through an online portal, 4-, 8-, or 12-week online courses, typically on topics relevant to students in all years of higher education along with basic core courses in sciences and humanities with exposure to relevant tools and technologies, are being offered. The enrolment to and learning from these courses involves no cost. Following these online courses, an in-person, proctored certification exam will be conducted and a certificate is provided through the participating institutions and industry, when applicable.
Use of the Course/ Certificate
- Enables the student to directly engage and learn from the best faculty in the country in that particular subject. This strengthens the fundamentals of the student in the course
- Gives the students the opportunities to explore new areas of interest – which are not possible in regular college environment. Also gives students the opportunity to learn in greater depth the subjects they wish to master. These courses are also serving as faculty development programmes (15-20% of enrollments are by faculty in different colleges).
- The audience in a MOOC includes students spanning the length and breadth of India and a small fraction of foreign students. This mix of peer group gives the students a chance to assess where they stand with respect to this group of learners.
- These courses also bring out the self-learning initiative of the students – where their own motivation is what drives them to complete the course and not external compulsions. This fosters the habit of keeping oneself updated always by means of self-study.
- The certificates issued bear the stamp of CCE, IIT and hence are valuable additions when the student is applying for jobs.
- Companies can also dig into this pool of candidates with specialized skills – in case they wish to recruit.